David K. Tumusiime, PhD
David K. Tumusiime, PhD
Center Deputy Director
I am a senior lecturer in the School of Health Sciences, College of Medicine and Health Sciences at the University of Rwanda. I have experience in High Learning Institution training and research for more than 15 years.
I have been involved in the University leadership; such as being Director of Research, Ethics and Consultancy at the former Kigali Health Institute (one of the higher learning institution merged to form the University of Rwanda); 2011 – 2012, Dean School of Health Sciences and currently the Deputy Director of the East African Community (EAC) Centre of Excellence in Biomedical Engineering, eHealth, Rehabilitation and Mobility Sciences hosted by the University of Rwanda. In addition, I was Chairperson of Institutional Review Board at the University of Rwanda; 2012 – 2014, member and Secretary of Rwanda National Ethics Committee since 2013 up-to-date.
I have been consulted and offered various research expertise such being a chairperson of scientific committee and a reviewer for scientific conferences, participating in various research activities for development and validation of guidelines and frameworks for the EAC research commission, to mention but a few.
I obtained BSc in Physiotherapy in 2004, MSc in 2005; both from the University of the Western Cape in South Africa, PhD in Medical Rehabilitation in 2014 from the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg South Africa. My PhD studies included a randomized controlled trial with an intervention for physical treatment and rehabilitation of people with peripheral neuropathy and functional limitations of lower extremities, associated to HIV and Antiretroviral therapy. I have published research papers related to health various journals.
Other additional trainings include;
- Postgraduate certificate in Clinical Research, Bioethics, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, by Albert Einstein College of Medicine – USA in collaboration with Women’s Equity in Access to Care and Treatment (WE-ACTx) and Ministry of Health, in Rwanda. 2010.
- Certificate of training of trainers in Good Clinical Practice (GCP). 2014.
- Certificate in research ethics review,
- Certificate of training of trainers in Good Clinical Practice (GCP),
- Postgraduate Diploma in professional counselling, by Kigali Health Institute in conjunction with Regional AIDS Training Network (RATN). 2008.
- Diploma in Supervision of postgraduate programmes; University of Gothenburg. 2015 through University of Rwanda,
- Postgraduate Certificate in training Program about Strategic Information in Support of Improved HIV/AIDS Programming; offered by School of Public Health, National University of Rwanda (SPH/NUR) in collaboration with Tulane University. 2005.
My career interests are directed to conducting research for evidence based practice and work in the areas of medical rehabilitation, prevention and management of Non-Communicable diseases (NCDs), and Health Research Ethics.